420 is a term that refers to April 20, a day to smoke marijuana.
How Is 420 Used? Use Cases & Examples
420 originated in California in the 1970s when students would meet off-campus at 4:20 p.m. to smoke weed. It refers to the cannabis-oriented celebration held on April 20 each year. It was also some days dedicated to promoting marijuana use. Teenagers often use 420 as a substitute for weed.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term 420:
- Are you carrying any 420 on you?
- The guys at the party were all 420-friendly.
- Police presence at the concert discouraged 420.
- Do you have any 420?
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the 420 Slang Word
The use of the slang term 420 is a huge red flag that your teens are talking about marijuana. To protect your teens from drugs, predators, and other negative influences, you should pay attention to teen slang words. Here are two effective methods to identify the 420 slang word.
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the 420 Slang Word
In order to find out if your teens are using the 420 slang word, you can check their phones directly. Aside from SMS and search history, you also need to monitor chat messages on WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, Line, and other social media platforms.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the 420 Slang Word
With a parental control app installed on your children’s phones, you have the control to set alerts to detect risky teen slang expressions such as 420. Using this app, you can decide what level of monitoring is right for your children, and you can always adjust it if necessary.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the 420 Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the 420 slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as 420. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from drugs.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the 420 slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the 420 slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the 420 Slang Word
The use of marijuana is a controversial topic in American culture, which is especially confusing for parents. The general scientific consensus is that smoking marijuana is harmful to the developing brain. As with any sensitive topic you discuss with your teens, it can be beneficial to have solid scientific data to back up what you say, especially if your teens are skeptical of your views. Here are some ideas for talking about marijuana with your teens:
- Some people claim that marijuana is safer than alcohol, but why would you do anything that would hurt yourself?
- Has your school ever sponsored events to educate you about weed?
- Have you seen content on Instagram or TikTok that encourages marijuana use?
- What’s the password you can text me if you need a quick exit when you’re out with a friend? I’ll pick you up, no questions asked.
List of Teenage Slang Words
Dangerous Keep An Eye On Normal