a Karen Meaning
“a Karen” is an internet slang term used to describe an aggressive, entitled, racist, middle-aged person, usually a woman.
How Is a Karen Used? Use Cases & Examples
“a Karen” is a pushy, old-fashioned white woman who is insensitive to those around her, puts herself first, and often complains in a whiny voice. This slang term is really popular in America. It describes a woman who refuses to follow health guidelines and is outspoken and obnoxious about her insistence on not following the rules. The term “a Karen” may also apply to men who are misbehaving.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term “a Karen:”
- Did you see that lady who was very rude to her waitress?
Yeah, I saw it. She’s definitely a Karen.
- That crazy older woman is a Karen! That is why she blows up in public over things that are none of her business.
- Poor Alex. His family arrived late for the Spring Concert, and his mom asked other people to move from their seats so that her family could have a better view.
OMG, what a Karen!
- This woman in the lobby was making loud, obnoxious remarks about not wearing her mask.
Did anyone say Karen in a loud, obnoxious voice?
- Every customer I helped today was a Karen.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the a Karen Slang Word
“a Karen” is a harmless slang code, but other teen slang can indicate risky behavior or communication with a potentially dangerous person. It is important to be aware of teen slang words to protect your children from potential dangers, like drug use, predators, and other negative influences. Here are two ways to identify the “a Karen” slang word:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the a Karen Slang Word
Keeping track of your kids’ phones will let you know if they’re using the slang word “a Karen.” Cell phone activities to focus on include: text messages, search history, and chat messages on WhatsApp, Skype, Facebook messenger, and more.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the a Karen Slang Word
The most effective way to protect your kids is to install a parental control app on their cell phones. A free monitoring app lets you easily monitor your kids’ search history, chat messages and text messages for the slang word like “a Karen” in the background. It must be mentioned that it allows you to receive timely notifications when your kids type “a Karen” online.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the a Karen Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the “a Karen” slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as “a Karen.” Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the “a Karen” slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the “a Karen” slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the a Karen Slang Word
Using names to express stereotypes and insults is a practice that has existed for centuries. In 2020, the rise of “a Karen” in social media has been exacerbated by Covid-fueled anti-vaccineists and those who refuse to comply with prescribed protocols. The Guardian has even dubbed 2020 the Year of the Karen because many adults behave badly. Here are some tips for talking to your children about antisocial behavior illustrated by the slang term “a Karen:”
- What’s your opinion of the Karen label?
- How would you react if one of your parents acted like “a Karen“?
- Who is more famous, Central Park Karen or Costco Karen?
- Do you think Karen-like parents have rude children, or are their children embarrassed by their parent’s behavior?
List of Teenage Slang Words
Dangerous Keep An Eye On Normal