ATM stands for At The Moment.
ATM is an internet slang initialism used to show that the sender is busy.
How Is ATM Used? Use Cases & Examples
The slang abbreviation ATM is meant to emphasize that something is happening “now.” It’s usually used to tell someone that you’re busy and can’t type or speak on the keyboard right now. This teen slang phrase is similar to the slang initials AFK (Away From Keyboard) and RN (Right Now).
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term ATM:
- We’re driving ATM. Text me in 10 minutes.
- Are you in class ATM? I need to see you.
- Sorry, can’t talk right now. I’m busy ATM.
- Studying for a big test ATM, do not disturb!
- I’m just exhausted ATM.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the ATM Slang Word
Even though ATM isn’t classified as dangerous-level slang, you should be aware of it. This way, you can protect your kids from potential dangers like predators, drugs, and cyberbullying. There are two ways to identify the ATM slang word here.
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the ATM Slang Word
You should remember that as a parent, you are ultimately responsible for your children’s well-being, both physically and mentally. Just explain to your children why their phone needs to be checked and what the dangers are, and you’ll agree. Items you need to check include text messages, search history, social chat messages, and more. That way you’ll see if they use the ATM slang word.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the ATM Slang Word
By installing a parental control app on your children’s phones, you can set an alert for ATM to help them avoid traps from predators, drug dealers, and other negative influences. It also lets you monitor search history, chat messages, and text messages for slang words like ATM.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the ATM Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the ATM slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
- iKeyMonitor: iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as ATM. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the ATM slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the ATM slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the ATM Slang Word
Abbreviations have evolved naturally in online communication, making messaging faster and more efficient. Slang helps generate shortcuts that we can all benefit from knowing. Here are some ideas for talking about slang expressions with your children:
- What was the first teen texting acronym you learned?
- Are there any slang expressions you think are overused or underused?
- Does knowing so many abbreviations help you take notes faster in class? Do you think texting will make you more comfortable with the possibility of abbreviations?
- Do you know of any outdated acronyms? What are some popular abbreviations?
List of Teenage Slang Words
Dangerous Keep An Eye On Normal