Boujee refers to a materialistic person. Boujee is an internet slang term that refers to people who enjoy their riches.
How Is Boujee Used? Use Cases & Examples
Boujee is hip-hop slang for “luxury lifestyle but humble character”, influenced by and often interchanged with the slang term bougie. Both ultimately came from the 16th-century French term bourgeoisie (literally “citizen”), the emerging class of merchants whose new wealth gave them social status and privilege.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term Boujee:
- I’m not boujee. I just have high expectations and preferences.
- Most of y’all wanna live such boujee lifestyles but don’t put any REAL work into achieving that.
- That guy has it all — the girl, the car, the house! I envy how bougie he is.
- That girl is bad and boujee, her fit is fire, and she’s always on-trend.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the Boujee Slang Word
You may find it difficult to keep up with your teens. The good news is that some cool slang terms are easy to understand and harmless for kids. The bad news is that your kids may be using dangerous or inappropriate slang to talk to strangers online. To protect your children, you need to keep track of your children’s online activities. Here are two ways to identify the Boujee slang word:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the Boujee Slang Word
You need to balance respecting your children’s privacy while keeping them safe. Some thoughts on the ground rules: regularly check their online activities such as SMS, search history and chat messages on WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, Line, etc. This lets teens know that you reserve the right to take care of them without breaking trust.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the Boujee Slang Word
Simply download a parental control app on your kids’ phones, and you will get peace of mind. It will help you detect every typed teen slang word such as Boujee. With this free app, you can keep track of SMS, search history, and chat messages for slang words like Boujee. Whenever your kids enter the slang word Boujee, you will get an instant reminder. In this way, you can take timely measures to ensure their safety.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the Boujee Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the Boujee slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as Boujee. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the Boujee slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the Boujee slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the Boujee Slang Word
This hip-hop slang term was made famous in 2016 by Migo’s song Bad and Boujee, celebrating those who are materially successful but stay grounded in life. There are many factors involved in achieving self-made financial prosperity, including talent, drive, perseverance, and hard work. These qualities can produce success and life satisfaction on many levels and are important qualities that young people develop.
Here are some conversation starters for talking about achievements with your teens:
- Do you know what prestige is? Why do you think something you can’t buy is one of your most valuable possessions?
- Why do you think work ethic is critical to achieving your goals?
- What’s the most inspiring story you’ve heard about the trait of perseverance?
- What do you think are the characteristics of successful people?