FAM is short for family.
FAM is an internet slang abbreviation that stands for family but is typically used to describe a close circle of friends.
How Is FAM Used? Use Cases & Examples
FAM are not parents, siblings, and relatives, but close friends you trust and trust who are always there for you. For example, your friends on Twitter might be your Twitter FAM.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term FAM:
- Hey fam what’s up?
- Fam you lookin nice.
- Hey, fam, you’re part of our family, don’t worry.
- Aye, fam what’s happening?
Not much fam just chillin like always.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the FAM Slang Word
It’s harmless that your teenager use the slang term FAM, but other teen slang can indicate risky behaviors or communication with suspicious people. In order to protect your teens from predators, drugs, and other negative influences, you should pay attention to teen slang words. Here are two ways to identify the FAM slang word:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the FAM Slang Word
The easiest way to tell if your children have used the FAM slang word is to check their phones directly. There are a variety of activities you need to check: SMS messages, search history, and social chats on WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, Line, and more.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the FAM Slang Word
A useful parenting control app can help you monitor the slang words used by your teens. It allows you to browse through the history of your children’s smartphones for the slang term FAM. You can also set alerts for FAM to get instant notifications. This way, you can keep a watch on your kids and protect them from threats.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the FAM Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the FAM slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as FAM. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the FAM slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the FAM slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the FAM Slang Word
The slang acronym FAM reminds you who is close to your children. Talk to your teens about the qualities of good friends and how meaningful friendships enrich their lives. Here are some tips to share with your teens when talking about friendships:
- Show empathy. Think about things from another person’s perspective.
- Show goodwill. Don’t lash out and think twice before speaking.
- Use your sense of humor to deal with friends.
- Use your social skills. Be considerate and polite.
- Set boundaries with friends. Friendships can be complicated, and sometimes you have to let go of toxic people.
- No one friend will always be everything. Have reasonable expectations when interacting with others.
- We all like to be forgiven when we make mistakes. Be willing to forgive your friends.