FOMO stands for Fear of Missing Out. FOMO is an internet slang initialism used to describe the concern teenagers have about not participating in an event.
How Is FOMO Used? Use Cases & Examples
FOMO is an emotional response to the belief that others are better off, more satisfied with their lives, or missing out on important opportunities. FOMO often leads to feelings of restlessness, dissatisfaction, depression, and stress. The rise of social media in recent years has increased the popularity of FOMO. Data shows that social anxiety is common among teens.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term FOMO:
- I have a cold, but my deep-seated FOMO made me come to this party.
- His FOMO was too much to deal with, so he drove 2,000 miles to come to this concert.
- I have a serious case of FOMO that is incommensurate with my age.
- I keep relentlessly busy because I suffer from FOMO.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the FOMO Slang Word
FOMO is a harmless slang term, but unfortunately, other teenage slang may indicate that your kids are dealing with strangers or engaging in risky activities. The good news is that you can keep track of teen slang to protect your kids from risk. Here are two ways to detect the FOMO slang word:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the FOMO Slang Word
Talk to your children about the importance of checking cell phones and what could happen if they used risky teen slang. Here is the information that you need to check: SMS, search history, and chat messages on WhatsApp, Viber, Skype, Line, etc.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the FOMO Slang Word
A parental control app can help reduce certain concerns regarding your children, such as cyberbullying, online predators, inappropriate content, and mental health issues. It can also be helpful in detecting risky teen slang expressions. Also, you are allowed to receive alerts for certain teen slang like FOMO. As a result, you can keep your children safe from danger.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the FOMO Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the FOMO slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as FOMO. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the FOMO slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the FOMO slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the FOMO Slang Word
Social anxiety affects the lives of many teens. They may be very sensitive to social or organized activities. Here are some conversations you can start supporting your teens in navigating the mixed waters of social situations:
- Why do you think some of your friends have such intense FOMO?
- How did you feel when you heard there was an outing that you weren’t invited to?
- Do you think FOMO will interfere with people’s bigger plans, like not wanting to miss the party the night before the SAT?
- What’s the craziest thing someone has ever done because of FOMO?