GAL stands for “Get A Life.” GAL is an internet slang initialism that conveys annoyance or scorn.
How Is GAL Used? Use Cases & Examples
GAL is an acronym when used with the meaning of “Get A Life”. This means it is pronounced using its individual letters. In this case, the GAL is usually used as imperative (ie, a command). It can be followed by a period (period) or an exclamation point, depending on the strength of the command.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term GAL:
- You’re such a Stan! GAL.
- What they do with their own money has got nothing to do with you. GAL dude.
- Are you going to keep bringing that up all night? GAL man!
- GAL dude! How long are you planning to stay in your room playing games?
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the GAL Slang Word
The good news is that the slang term GAL is harmless. The bad news is that a lot of teenage slang is dangerous for kids. As a parent, it is necessary for you to monitor the slang words your children use to ensure their safety. There are two effective ways to detect the GAL slang word:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the GAL Slang Word
Worried about your kids using the GAL slang word? Checking their phones regularly can get you around this. You can view their SMS, search history and chat messages on WhatsApp, Viber, Facebook, Skype, Line, etc.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the GAL Slang Word
An effective parental control app can provide all the features you need to detect teenage slang like GAL. It offers chat monitoring, text spying, and search history tracking for spotting slang words. If you add GAL as an alert word, you will receive notifications when it’s triggered. This way you can easily take steps to protect your children.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the GAL Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the GAL slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as GAL. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the GAL slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the GAL slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the GAL Slang Word
Teens, like all of us, get annoyed by aggravating behaviors. Slang phrases like GAL can sound hurtful unless said in a joking way. If this expression is a slang term your children use a lot, you may want to talk about respecting others’ choices and empathy for situations beyond people’s control. Help your children realize that normal circumstances are different in every family. Here are some ideas for talking with your children about respect:
- Have you ever heard of someone doing something sad that made you want to say GAL?
- Did someone say GAL to you? How does that make you feel?
- If you think someone pays too much attention to the little details, what’s a more diplomatic way to point it out?
- Sometimes teens are stuck doing boring things because of family circumstances. How would you respond if they brought this up to you?