ICYMI stands for In Case You Missed It.
ICYMI is an internet slang initialism that draws attention to something.
How Is ICYMI Used? Use Cases & Examples
ICYMI is a popular hashtag on Twitter. Due to the 140-character limit, its brevity has obvious appeal. Today, it appears in various social media and is also increasingly featured in traditional media titles (and copy) more common.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term ICYMI:
- ICYMI Jack is in the local paper for his award.
- Hey, I sent you a link to that rad Amy Poehler clip ICYMI.
- Hey, did you watch that new show I told you about? It just came out ICYMI.
Really? I didn’t know. Thanks!
- ICYMI, we’ve added a few more posts to our blog.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the ICYMI Slang Word
When a text appears on the phone screen, you might discover your kids are using the slang term ICYMI. In spite of the harmless nature of the slang term ICYMI, other teen slang terms may be indicative of risky behaviors. So you need to keep checking the slang words used by your teens. There are two ways to identify the ICYMI slang word:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the ICYMI Slang Word
There are thousands of slang terms used by teenagers, and new slang terms appear every day. So it’s a good idea to check your kids’ phones directly so you can see if they have used the ICYMI slang word or other risky words. You will get peace of mind by checking their SMS, search history and chat messages.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the ICYMI Slang Word
Installing a parental control app on your kids’ phones will help you detect risky teen slang like ICYMI. It monitors social media conversations, search history and SMS for dangerous slang terms. It allows you to get instant alerts when potentially dangerous behavior is detected. This way you can easily protect your kids from online bullying, violence, self-harm, drugs, alcohol and predators.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the ICYMI Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the ICYMI slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as ICYMI. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the ICYMI slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the ICYMI slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the ICYMI Slang Word
Building friendships is one of the most important areas of a teen’s life. In addition to knowing who your children’s friends are, it’s important to help your children learn to recognize the characteristics of a good friend. The ability to maintain high-quality relationships will lead to a rich personal life for your teens. You can use teenage slang ICYMI to discuss with your kids about being good friends. Here are some ideas for starting a conversation about friendship:
- What are some ways you and your friends can help each other?
- How does it feel when a friend goes to great lengths to make sure you understand what’s going on?
- Why do you think it’s important to have a courtesy exchange?
- If a friend forgets to tell you that he/she knows what you are missing, what can that tell you about the friendship?