JK means Just Kidding.
JK is an internet slang initialism that indicates that the preceding part of a message is not to be taken seriously. This slang term can be used seriously or sarcastically.
How Is JK Used? Use Cases & Examples
JK is used to indicate that what you just said was a joke and should not be taken seriously. You can say it in response to someone’s reaction to your joke, or you can preempt it before the other person responds. JK is usually written as lowercase “jk”. It is often used in conjunction with other popular Internet acronyms for laughter, such as LOL, ROFL, and LMAO.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term JK:
- When did you start becoming so responsible? jk.
- I’m definitely not going to your birthday party. jk.
- Nah, I don’t want to eat your cookies. JK, I bet they’re delicious!
- That shade of green is hideous. lol jk.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the JK Slang Word
Some slang expressions are harmless like JK, and some slang expressions imply that your children are engaging in dangerous activities. You need to pay attention to teenage slang in their online conversations to keep them away from potential threats. Two effective ways to identify the JK slang word are as follows:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the JK Slang Word
Kids use countless acronyms. Luckily, you can check your kids’ phones directly to figure out if they have used the JK slang word. You need to view their text messages, search history, and social chats for risky slang terms.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the JK Slang Word
A parental control app can provide your teens with a safe and productive digital environment. It monitors text messages, social media activities, and search history for slang words like JK. It also lets you set harmful slang words as alert words to get instant email notifications. This way, you can easily keep your kids safe from threats.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the JK Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the JK slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as JK. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the JK slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the JK slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the JK Slang Word
Teens, and even some adults, sometimes go too far when joking with other people. Endless sarcasm in the form of jokes can sometimes feel like cyberbullying. Teenage slang JK provides the beginning of a discussion about joking boundaries. Here are some tips for having a conversation with your children about the slang expression JK:
- How do you respond to demeaning humor, whether directed at you or at other people?
- How do you use humor to deal with challenges?
- Besides JK, is there any other slang term for saying that messages shouldn’t be taken seriously?
- When telling a joke, make sure what you say is funny and not hurtful.