OG stands for Original Gangster. OG is an internet slang initialism used to describe an extraordinary person.
How Is OG Used? Use Cases & Examples
The term “OG” is believed to have originated in gang circles in Los Angeles (LA) in the 1970s as a deference to senior gang members. It gained wider popularity in 1991 when rapper Ice-T released a successful album called “OG Original Gangster.”
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term OG:
- Adam West is the OG Batman.
- Oh man that was so OG.
- Toni: Have you heard that The Donald is still claiming that the election was rigged?
Jo: He’s the OG, man!
- Frank: The dog ate my homework.
Teacher: That’s OG.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the OG Slang Word
Understanding the slang terms used by your teens is vital to keeping them safe. The slang term OG is harmless, but other slang terms can show that your children are involved in dangerous activities. To keep children away from suspicious people, you can use the following two methods to identify the OG slang term:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the OG Slang Word
We know checking your kids’ phones is a great way to detect if they are using the OG slang word. You need to find inappropriate slang terms by view their texts, search history, and chat conversations on Skype, Snapchat, WhatsApp, and more.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the OG Slang Word
A reliable parental control app can help you detect the slang word OG on your teens’ phones. It enables you to remotely monitor their activities like SMS, social media inbox, browsing history. Plus, you can set up alerts for harmful slang terms to get instant notifications. In this way, you will be able to take timely measures to protect your kids.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the OG Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the OG slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as OG. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the OG slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the OG slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the OG Slang Word
Most teens are in sync with pop culture, and this knowledge helps them blend in with their peers. Discussing some OGs in pop culture is a fun way to connect with teens. Here are some of the main questions to talk about the slang word OG with your children:
- Did you know ICE-T is the one who made OG famous?
- Madonna was considered shocking in the 1980s, and some thought she was the OG of the celebrity singer. Which current singer do you think has inspired her the most?
- Are you the OG of your friends?
- Who do you think is the OG of skateboarding – Tony Hawk or Rodney Mullen?