ORLY stands for Oh, really?
ORLY is an internet slang abbreviation that is a sarcastic response.
How Is ORLY Used? Use Cases & Examples
You can send “ORLY” if you want to express interest or doubt about someone’s assertion or statement. This abbreviation is often used in text with a question mark. When used seriously, you can send it to show interest in what someone has to say and want to know more. When used for sarcasm, you can send it to show fake interest or suspicion in what the individual has just said.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term ORLY:
- I heard Ryan asked Jill out last week.
- Oh so I went to the mall and saw her there and she bought the exact same sweater I had on yesterday.
- Have you ever known that there were 999 cases of a heart attack in a time of 9999999999 seconds in North Africa?
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the ORLY Slang Word
To hide what they really mean, teenagers use slang. The slang term ORLY is harmless, but other slang terms can be threatening to your children. You should monitor teenage slang to ensure their safety. Here are two ways to detect the ORLY slang word:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the ORLY Slang Word
To figure out what slang words you teens are talking about, you can check their mobile phones directly. It’s nessary for you to view their text messages, social chats and search history for the ORLY slang word.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the ORLY Slang Word
Install a popular parental app on your teens’ phones and you can detect teen slang expressions such as ORLY. It allows you to keep an eye on their SMS, search history, social chat messages and more. It also enables you to set up alerts for risky teenage slang. This way, you can take timely action to protect your kids.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the ORLY Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the ORLY slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as ORLY. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the ORLY slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the ORLY slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the ORLY Slang Word
If your kid is a gamer, you’ll be familiar with the joys of their sarcastic remarks. While not everyone likes it, sarcasm can show creativity, ingenuity, and wit. The danger of sarcasm is that it is easily misunderstood, especially in online communication, and some recipients may be offended rather than amused by the phrase. The slang term ORLY provides the perfect springboard for talking sarcasm with your teens. Here are some things to talk about sarcasm with your teens:
- Can you tell me about one of the best zingers you’ve heard in an online game?
- What is the best burn you have ever used in a game?
- If someone seems offended by your words, what can you say to let them know you’re not serious?
- Have you and your friends ever entered a sarcasm contest?