OTP stands for On the Phone.
OTP is an internet slang initialism used to let a message sender know that the recipient is talking on the phone.
How Is OTP Used? Use Cases & Examples
You are most likely to encounter this acronym OTP in chat, it is sent when the person you want to chat with is talking to someone else on the phone. This message can also be sent to someone before the call to let him/her know.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term OTP:
- I’m OTP right now; I’ll chat with you in a little bit.
- Hang on, I’m OTP.
- She’s OTP right now, but I’ll have her call you.
- Sorry I didn’t reply. I was OTP.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the OTP Slang Word
Harmless slang words like OTP is only a small part of teenage slang. Many slang terms are inappropriate or even threatening the safety of teens. That’s why you need to pay attention to the slang words your kids use. Here are two ways to identify the OTP slang term:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the OTP Slang Word
Find out if your teens are using the OTP slang word by checking their phones directly. You need to view their texts, search history, and chat messages on WhatsApp, Line, Facebook, Skype, etc.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the OTP Slang Word
Install a great parental control app on your children’s phones to detect inappropriate slang words. With this app, you can monitor your children’s text messages, chat messages, and search history for the OTP slang word. It also allows you to receive notifications if any risky slang code is found on their devices. This way, you can protect against all types of online dangers for your teens.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the OTP Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the OTP slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as OTP. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the OTP slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the OTP slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the OTP Slang Word
Internet slang acronyms can be a springboard for great conversations with your kids about topics relevant to their world. Expressing OTP can spark a discussion about the importance of communication in our lives. Here’s the beginning of some conversations:
- Thanks for replying to me with an OTP message this afternoon. It keeps me from worrying when I don’t hear from you.
- When you can’t reply to someone right away, I’m glad to see that you use OTP for a quick reply. These three letters prevent confusion or discomfort if you’re not there. What are other acronyms that come in handy like OTP?
- Have you considered turning off notifications before calls that need attention? Even pausing to send OTP messages can cause you to miss important details.