TMI stands for Too Much Information.
TMI is an internet slang initialism that is a response to the inappropriate divulgence of personal information.
How Is TMI Used? Use Cases & Examples
TMI is often used in online chats and text messages to tell someone they’re sharing too much information about themselves. TMI is always said to be a response, not a way to start a conversation.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term TMI:
- TMI! I don’t want to hear about that!
- Dude, TMI.
- I didn’t need to know that. TMI.
- My friend gave me TMI yesterday.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the TMI Slang Word
In the internet world, there are new slang terms and trends every day. Even though the word TMI is harmless, you still can’t ignore the slang that kids use. Only paying attention to teenage slang will keep your kids safe from danger. Here are two ways to detect the slang word TMI:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the TMI Slang Word
To determine whether your teens are using the slang word TMI, check their cell phones directly. You need to see their SMS, search history, and chat messages on WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, Line, etc.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the TMI Slang Word
Install a flexible parental control app on your teens’ phones to detect harmful slang terms. It allows you to track slang words like TMI in your kids’ search history, text messages, and chat conversations. It also lets you get instant emails when certain slang phrases are triggered. This way, you can protect your children from dangerous content or people right away.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the TMI Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the TMI slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as TMI. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the TMI slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the TMI slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the TMI Slang Word
Reassuringly, teens realize that some topics should not be discussed. As part of their social development, they are learning to discern what is appropriate and how to express themselves accordingly. Here are some ways to talk to your children about the slang word TMI:
- Do you use the slang term TMI when people post or say something disgusting, or when they just tell you too many personal details of their lives?
- Has anyone said TMI to what you post?
- What do you think determines a person’s perception of what can be posted?
- What’s the worst thing someone said or posted that prompted you to reply to TMI?